"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

28 February 2013

The One and Only Ivan


Applegate, Katherine. The One and Only Ivan. HarperCollins, 2012.

Ivan is a gorilla who lives in a strip mall on a highway exit. His only companions are an elephant, a dog, and a young girl. One day, the owner brings in a new elephant, whom Ivan befriends. Ivan promises to take care of her and help her be free from this prison of a "circus." Ivan is able to work a little magic of his own and the animals eventually are placed in a zoo.

This book is a really fast read, but I enjoyed the fact that it was told from Ivan's perspective. I can see why it won the Newbery this year. This was not my usual type of book, and I probably wouldn't have picked it up had it not been in the running for the award, but I am glad I read it.

No comments: