"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

17 May 2011

This Book is Overdue!


Johnson, Marilyn. This Book is Overdue! How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All. New York: Harper Collins, 2010.

I was intrigued by the title and the subject matter of this book, but what really grabbed my attention was the cover.  A superhero librarian in a cape is blasting out of a pile of books.  I like books, I'm going to be studying library science in just a few months, and I've always wanted to wear a cape in public. 

The author of this book immersed herself into the world of librarians, specifically the changing technological world of librarians.  She explored the changing role of the librarian while telling all sorts of stories of meeting librarians in cyberspace on Second Life, reading librarians' blogs about things they find in the library, and spending time at some of the biggest and smallest libraries in the world.  I found this book to be fascinating, entertaining, instructive, and enjoyable.  I'd keep it for myself, but I checked it out of the library, and I'd rather not incur any late book fines.

No comments: