"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

20 August 2014

Fan Art



Tregay, Sarah. Fan Art. Katherine Tegan Books, 2014.

Jamie is in love with his best friend, only he's terrified to tell him for fear it will ruin their lifelong friendship. He keeps his attraction deeply hidden, or so he thinks. But after a fellow student submits a comic for the school paper that depicts two boys who are in love, Jamie has to decide whether he should follow his heart or do what is easy.

This book was simply adorable. I loved the comic, I loved how clueless Jamie was about how "out" he actually was, and I was glad that this book was more about Jamie's choices as an editor for the school literary mag and that his orientation was more of a side issue. This book reminded me a lot of The Year They Burned the Books, but with a more modern feel (which makes sense, since that book was published when I was a high school senior!). I could, and probably will, recommend this book to my students.

Recommended for: teens
Red Flags: language, alcohol use
Overall Rating: 5/5 stars

No comments: