"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

16 December 2013

The Book Whisperer


Miller, Donalyn. The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child. 2009.

This book is definitely geared toward English/Language Arts teachers, but I still appreciated what the author had to say about connecting kids to books.  I am definitely going to take some of her information and present it to my students, things such as how to choose a book, when is it okay to stop reading a book, how to decide what genre a book belongs to, etc.  The biggest takeaway from this book is that kids need to see adults expressing enthusiasm for reading.  Having real conversations about books they've read will do more for kids than any worksheet they may be required to complete during a class-novel lesson. I will definitely be passing this information on to the teachers at my school, but I will also do what I can to encourage the kids in the library and continue to develop their lifetime love of reading.

No comments: