"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

09 July 2014

She Is Not Invisible


Sedgwick, Marcus. She is Not Invisible. 2014

Laureth's father, a famous author, has disappeared, so Laureth takes her younger brother on a plane from England to New York to locate him. The search for her father becomes a bit of a mystery/adventure, as we get pages from his notebook with notes that connect to the happenings in the book. Oh, and Laureth is blind, which is why she dragged her brother along.

This book, in spite of the search for a lost father, is fairly slow paced. I liked the lyrical quality of the writing, and I was glad for a book from the perspective of a blind person. I also liked the science connections, and this book definitely reminded me of Stead's When You Reach Me. While I wouldn't recommend this book to struggling readers, I could get my average middle school student to read it based on the cover and a short book talk. All in all, it's worth the read, but maybe pick it up at the library rather than at a bookstore.

Recommended for: teens
Red Flags: none
Overall Rating: 4/5 stars

Read-Alike: When You Reach Me

No comments: