"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

15 July 2014

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library


Grabenstein, Chris. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library. Random House BFYR, 2013.

Kyle and his buddies write essays to win an opportunity to be the first people to use the new public library in his town, a library designed by the premiere game-maker, Mr. Lemoncello. While in the library, they have the opportunity to play a game for an even bigger prize.

Wow. I loved this book so much I hardly know what to say. I love all of the literary references and really want to play the Bibliomania game the kids play in the book. I love that the competition in the library was something the kids could leave any time, so there wasn't any serious danger/consequences involved. Of course I loved all of the library terminology and Dewey references throughout. I liked that the kids who were the "bad kids" were bad but not evil (think more Veruca Salt and less Draco Malfoy). I liked the puzzles throughout the book. If I had a 4-6th grade classroom, I'd probably read this one aloud in my class. I don't know that many of my middle schoolers would check this book out, but some of them would definitely enjoy it. And now I want to have a scavenger hunt in my library. :D

Recommended for: middle grade, librarians
Red Flags: none
Overall Rating: 5/5 stars

Read-Alike: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

No comments: