"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

24 March 2014

COUNTDOWN: The Ninja Librarians: The Accidental Keyhand


One of the fun parts of the book The Ninja Librarians: The Accidental Keyhand is the fact that the librarians can read things out of books, similar to the way Mo in Inkheart can read characters out of books. The librarians read out food, and one particular character often reads out strange creatures; I think she might be a Hagrid-in-training.

As part of the Ninja Librarians Recon Team, I was asked to choose ten things that I would read out of books if I could.  Wow, that's a really hard thing to choose!  I've been wracking my brains all day, and I think I've finally come up with a decent list.  In no particular order, here are the ten items I would read out from books:

  1. Hermione's bag from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  Talk about solving storage problems! I would never have to lug 30 lbs of cat litter up the steps to my apartment, or 30 lbs of laundry down to the laundry room.  I could store ALL THE THINGS in there and have them at my immediate disposal! If I could only read out one thing, this would probably be the thing.
  2. Bob, the talking skull from the Harry Dresden books.  Because when it comes to advice, you can't beat a talking skull. 
  3. A hoverboard from Westerfeld's Uglies series.  Not only could I save on gas, but I could out-cool the kids who park their skateboards in my library. 
  4. I'd find a book about Doctor Who and read out the TARDIS.  Because wibbly wobbly timey wimey. 
  5. I'd take Brick City and read out all the LEGO bricks.  All of them.  Since obviously my massive LEGO collection isn't massive enough yet. (But that's no problem because I can store it in my Hermione bag, right?)
  6. I would read out the magic cardboard from Cardboard, too. Then I'd probably make some things from it and sell them online to pay off my student loans. 
  7. I would read out Mace Windu's light saber from a Star Wars novel. 
  8. Harry's invisibility cloak from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  You never know when being invisible could come in handy. 
  9. I would read out all of Donalyn Miller's classroom library from The Book Whisperer. I would love to add those books to my library's collection. 
  10. Last but not least, I would read out Mzee from Owen and Mzee.  Because obviously my school needs a library turtle.  Actually, he'd probably have to live in the courtyard outside the library, but I'd leave the door propped open so he could come in and visit when he wanted to.

That's my list.  How about you?  If you could read an item out of a book, what would you choose?

If you missed last week's post, here's a link to that one.

1 comment:

Suz Costner said...

Oh, I didn't think of the magic cardboard! I want some of that,too. I like how you solved the storage problem - you used Hermione's bag and I used Howl's castle. :-)