"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

17 March 2014

Vortex


Kincaid, S.J. Vortex. Katherine Tegen Books, 2013. 

Tom and his friends have completed the first part of their training as super soldiers/weapons, equipped with computers in their brains and the latest technology. With graduation approaching, Tom needs to find a corporate sponsor, but that's hard to do when he keeps accidentally insulting everyone he meets. Tom becomes aware of some problems with the system and begins to fight against them, and he's not sure whom he can trust.

I probably would have enjoyed this one more if I had started with the first book in the series. As it is, this was on a top ten list for 2013, so I read it and enjoyed it well enough, but I wasn't as invested in the story as I would have been had I read the first book as well. We have this book in my library, and it circulates pretty well, although I generally recommend to my patrons that they read the first book before tackling this one.

Recommended for: teens, fans of sci-fi and action stories
Red Flags: violence, language
Overall Rating: 4/5 stars

Read-alike for: Empire by Orson Scott Card.

No comments: