"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

05 March 2014

A Moment Comes


Bradbury, Jennifer. A Moment Comes. Atheneum BFYR, 2013.

This book follows the lives of three teens during the partition that created India and Pakistan as two separate countries. One is a Sikh, one a Muslim, and the third is the daughter of the British man who is drawing the line between the countries.

I ended up enjoying this book much more than I expected. I was able to slip into this culture and watch what was happening, and there was enough context given that I could understand things that I would otherwise have been oblivious to. Also, the foreign words were defined in the back (although I wish they had been italicized throughout the story). I could see this book being popular in my school, and it would help my students understand an historical time period they might not otherwise be exposed to.

Recommend for: teens
Red Flags: the mom gets drunk toward the end of the story, the Sikh girl is captured and there is threat of her being raped; there's lots of talk of violence and people dying,
Overall Rating: 5/5 stars

No comments: