"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

09 June 2011

Be Different


Robison, John Elder. Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian. New York: Random House, 2011.


In his first memoir Look Me in the Eye, Robison describes his childhood as an undiagnosed Aspergian.  In his second memoir Robison offers advice for Aspergians attempting to fit in with the world around them and for teachers, friends, and relatives of Aspergians.

In every "do you have Asperger's" test I've ever taken, I always score fairly high.  Robison would label me a proto-aspergian, so I was intrigued to read about the difficulties he has faced in adjusting to the world around him and the adaptations he has chosen to make so that he can fit in better.  This book was interesting, although not as informative as I had hoped.

No comments: