"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

07 March 2013

Persepolis


Satrapi, Marjane. Persopolis. Pantheon, 2004.

I had to read the first two volumes of this work for my graphic novels class, but I ended up enjoying the story.  Marjane Satrapi tells the story of her life in Iran during the cultural revolution of the 80s, including the years she spent in Austria and her eventual return to her home. The culture was different enough to interest me, and the story was not riddled with literary references like Fun Home was (references that made even this English teacher feel like a dunce).

There are few enough books about the Middle East or Islamic culture; I think this one is worth keeping in the library's collection.

No comments: