"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

20 March 2015

Class Visits

These are not my kiddos and not my library, but it's a pretty good representation.
Do you ever have classes visit your library as a field trip? We have classes visiting all the time, usually kindergarten or first grade classes who are visiting the public library to get their first library cards and learn about what is available there.  When these young students visit our library, we give them a tour of the library, read them a story (or two), then give them each their own library card and allow them to check out books, provided, of course, that their parents filled out the card application and returned it to the teacher, etc. etc.

In the past two weeks, however, I have had two separate high school classes visit our library. In both cases it was a smaller class, one from a special education department and one from an alternative learning center. Obviously my normal kindergarten library tour wasn't going to work with these older students.  Instead, I gave them a tour, emphasizing the way the books are organized and where to find important things (computers, DVDs, the bathroom, the graphic novels).  When our tour was finished, I gave them a short scavenger hunt to complete; their teacher offered a school-based reward for the first student to finish.  After our scavenger hunt, I gave a quick book talk over a half dozen books I had chosen earlier and allowed the students time to browse or to ask me questions about books they'd like to read.

In both cases, I like to emphasize that the library staff wants to HELP our young patrons, that we are here to answer their questions and that we love, LOVE talking about and recommending books. I always mention our programs as well; the teens were especially excited to hear about the summer reading prizes this year (teen finishers will be allowed to participate in the Game Truck event that will be happening at our library).  I want our patrons, from the youngest to the oldest, to know that the library is here for them and that we offer a wide variety of things they can do.

What about you? What do you do when classes visit your library?

No comments: