"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

18 June 2014

To The End of June



Beam, Cris. To the End of June: The Intimate Life of American Foster Care. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013.

This book was frighteningly dry. I expected lots of statistics, descriptions of programs, and with a book this length, dozens of stories as the results of interviews. What I got what a painfully in-depth look at three families, with their stories retold from the perspective of each family member. Is the foster care system in need of help? Absolutely, but this book didn't do anything to convince me, nor did it add anything to my knowledge that I hadn't already learned from watching The Fosters.

Recommended for: adults
Red Flags: discussions of drug use, etc.
Overall Rating: 2.5/5 stars

No comments: