"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

30 June 2014

Something Real


Demetrious, Heather. Something Real. Henry Holt & Co. 2014.

Bonnie Baker is part of the Baker's Dozen - thirteen kids and their parents who had a reality TV show.  After an all-too-brief hiatus from the show, Bonnie discovers that the show is going back on the air, which means her life will be visible for the public eye once again.

I actually stayed up last night to finish this book. I had one of those "finish the book, look at the clock and gasp at the late hour" moments. This book would be a great read-alike for Reality Boy, as it gives another fictional glimpse into the life of a reality TV family. It's funny; until I read these books I didn't think much about what it would be like to be a star in a reality TV show and have cameras all over your house, etc. Now I wonder what'll happen to the kids on Kate + 8 or The Duggars or whatever when they grow up.

Anyway, we don't have this book in my library because I have no budget, but if I did have one, I'd get it because I think this book would appeal to many of my students and it's relatively free of red flags.

Recommended for: teens, fans of reality TV
Red Flags: language; Chloe and her boyfriend do everything BUT have sex, none of which is described but is definitely hinted at
Overall Rating: 4.5/5 stars

No comments: