"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

20 June 2014

The Life of Glass


Cantor, Jillian. The Life of Glass. Harperteen, 2010.

This was quite possibly the most boring YA book I've ever read. The MC's dad recently died, and she lives with her mom and her older sister. Yep, that's about it. Mom starts dating, and the girls aren't sure what they think of mom's boyfriend. The girls are both in high school, but apparently the MC doesn't have any emotions, because this book flatlines pretty early on and doesn't revive. Also, the MC's biology class spends AN ENTIRE SEMESTER dissecting on frog. For one class period, their assignment was to cut out the heart of the frog and draw a picture of it. I can't imagine a frog specimen lasting that long. Ever.

Really, nothing happened in this book, and I will not add it to my library's collection or book talk it to my students. I was unpleasantly surprised at how boring it was.

Recommended for: tweens
Red Flags: none
Overall Rating: 1/5 stars

No comments: