"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

15 September 2011

Okay for Now



Schmidt, Gary. Okay for Now. New York: Clarion Books, 2011.

Doug Swieteck was featured in Schmidt's previous book The Wednesday Wars, a book which I read to my seventh graders every year while I was teaching.  I was excited to see another book by this author and another book about these characters.  Doug and his family have moved from New York to the middle of nowhere, and Doug is having difficulty adjusting to life in a small town.  Slowly, though, he begins to make friends and to make right choices, even if they aren't always easy ones.  And of course this book also happens to feature a librarian who makes a difference, which is always a good theme for a future librarian. If you haven't read Wednesday Wars, read that first, then pick up this one.  You'll thank me later.

No comments: