"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

29 September 2011

The Knight



James, Steven. The Knight. Grand Rapids, MI: Revel, 2009.

Agent Bowers is hunting a killer who is re-enacting a story through the deaths of his victims.  As he draws closer to a solution, Bowers realizes that the final chapter in the killer's story involves the death of Agent Bowers himself.  With a deadline looming, how will Bowers catch the killer and save both himself and the killer's other potential victims?

I had a guess that this novel was published under a Christian label, although this book doesn't fit the stereotype of Christian fiction from earlier decades.  This falls more into the category of "well-written fiction that is relatively clean and happens to be written by someone who is a Christian."  A bit of googling about the publisher confirmed my suspicions: Revel is a part of Baker Publishing.  Because of that, I was a bit surprised to find this book in the meager browsing collection at my university's library.  However, this book was excellently written and I truly enjoyed the experience of reading this novel.  For the first time in a long time, I woke up early enough in the morning so that I could finish reading the book before I began working on homework or other duties.  And I was not disappointed.  If you haven't read this one yet, folks, you need to check it out.  Or buy a copy and pass it around to your friends.  You'll thank me later.

2 comments:

n. said...

is that a remake of this Borges story?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_and_the_Compass

Jenni Frencham said...

I don't think it is, but that is an interesting link you posted. I'd be intrigued to read a remake of that story. :)