"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

17 September 2014

Talk Like a Pirate Day


This Friday is International Talk Like a Pirate Day, a holiday that started as a joke between friends and mushroomed into a great activity to use in classrooms and libraries.  Even Krispy Kreme is getting into the spirit of things, offering free donuts to people who talk like a pirate when they order their food.




Last year we didn't celebrate this holiday in my library; I was too new to the profession and still trying to weed the 1950s-era books from my shelves. However, this year we are celebrating.  I have a list of pirate vocabulary I will be posting on the wall as well as some pirate jokes that will be scattered throughout the library. In addition, I have found a few pirate trivia questions that students may answer in order to win a prize.  I will be dressed like a pirate (well, a middle-school appropriate pirate who follows the dress code, of course), and there will be a display of pirate-y books for the kids to read.  I'm posting this pre-holiday so that those of you who also wish to get into the spirit of things can borrow my handouts and signs, etc.




No comments: