"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

02 October 2015

Book Club: Make Way for Ducklings

My Book Munchers read Make Way for Ducklings this month, and we had activities to go with our discussion:


1.  Make a duck mask - These are very similar to the cat mask I used in the cat storytime, and the kids enjoyed decorating their ducks. The use of scissors and a hole punch helped them exercise their small motor control.


2. Draw a scene. I gave the kids papers and let them draw their favorite scene from the book.


3. Fishing for duckies. This was by far the most popular activity. I used string, a dowel, and a magnet to make a "fishing pole," then attached paper clips to duck cutouts and put them in a large bin to be the "pond." The kids spent more time at this activity than any other.


4. Real vs. pretend ducks. I have found that the homeschooling community is a wealth of resources for activities related to classic books, and this was no exception. I found a cut and paste handout containing pictures of real and pretend ducks, and I gave it to the kids so they could practice their scissor skills again and divide the ducks.

No comments: