"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

13 February 2011

Surviving Sexual Brokenness: What Grace Can Do


Hunter, Thom. Surviving Sexual Brokenness: What Grace Can Do. Bloomington, IN: West Bow Press, 2010.

I purchased this book on recommendation from the author himself and was surprised to discover how much we had in common. Both of us saw our parents divorce when we were very young.  Both of us spent time waiting by the curb in hopes that Dad would come back.  Both of us were molested at a young age.  Both of us have struggled with homosexuality. Because of these similarities, I was very interested in reading Hunter's book.  I wanted to see how he approached the issue of homosexuality and Christianity. 

Hunter's book reads much like a journal.  The chapters do not retell his life in a series of chronological stories, nor do they discuss his particular struggle and the changes it underwent as he learned to live with his "thorn in the flesh."  Because my brain thinks in outlines and diagrams, I found Hunter's book to be difficult to follow. I appreciated his insights, but I appreciated them the same way I do my own journaling: disjointed, unconnected thoughts that are good in and of themselves but do not necessarily follow a logical progression.

What I do appreciate is that Hunter is willing to be transparent about his struggles and that he, along with a growing percentage of Christians, embraces the idea that homosexuality is not a disease to be cured or a lifestyle to be embraced.  There is a third option: it is entirely possible for a person to trust in Jesus for salvation, struggle with homosexuality for his/her entire life, and choose not to act on those desires or struggles. This is not the easiest option; a person in this situation could face criticism from both Christians and homosexuals alike.  I am grateful to Hunter for sharing his journey, and I do hope that his words will be encouraging to other strugglers.

If you or someone you know is struggling with homosexuality, please visit the website of Living Hope Ministries.  You are not alone.

No comments: