"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

29 January 2011

The Memory Collector


Gardiner, Meg. The Memory Collector. New York: Signet, 2009.

What would you do if every five minutes your brain "reset" and you couldn't remember anything new?  Kanan, a security agent for a company producing high-tech products, has a mysterious disease that is eating away at his brain.  He can't form new memories, so he has resorted to writing everything down to remind himself of where he is and what he's trying to do.  And on his left arm in permanent ink are the words, "Saturday they die."

This book was very entertaining.  It was suspenseful, there were interesting plot twists that genuinely surprised me, and it was fairly free of the profusion of profanity that usually litters such stories. And it takes place in San Francisco.  One of the chase scenes was set in the streets around my church, which made this story seem even more vivid and real to me.

This is an excellent book with a very satisfying ending.  I was sad when I turned the last page and the book ended.  Grab this one from the local library, folks, or shoot me an email and I'll let you borrow my copy.

No comments: