"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

20 July 2010

Things That Keep Us Here


Buckley, Carla. Things That Keep Us Here. New York: Delacorte, 2010.


This novel explores the possibility of a pandemic, similar to the influenza pandemic of 1918, sweeping across the world. A virulent form of avian flu has combined with the influenza virus, and this virus is spreading across the globe, killing 50% of the people who are infected. States impose quarantines, airlines are shut down, people run through the streets looting stores and houses. All of this begins in November as a record-breaking snowfall hits the midwest and the east coast.


I finished reading this book sitting in a living room that is boasting the balmy temperature of 60 degrees. I am not certain if reading of people trying to survive through a winter with no electricity and nowhere to go caused me to be greatful for the blanket on my lap or simply intensified the cold I felt, but this was, nonetheless, a good and interesting book. I was disappointed only when I discovered that my local library does not carry any other books by this author.

No comments: