"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

28 July 2010

Hush


Napoli, Donna. Hush: An Irish Princess Tale. New York: Atheneum, 2007.


Melkorka, an Irish princess, is kidnapped by slavers. She has to survive a harrowing journey through the open seas, knowing the end result will be slavery. Should she attempt to escape or should she accept her enslavement?


I thoroughly enjoyed the first sixteen chapters of this story. My enjoyment was shaken when Melkorka was purchased by a man who needed a concubine to keep him company in the months until his return to his wife. My appreciation of this story was shattered when Melkorka discovers she is carrying her owner's child and chooses to stay with him, in the hope that the birth of her son will mellow her master and grant her the freedom she craves. That's how the book ends.


I was disappointed. At least I did enjoy the first sixteen chapters, and I know this isn't the last book in my stack. Sorry, folks, but you shouldn't bother with this one.

No comments: