"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

24 February 2016

Storytime: Bugs!


Opening Rhyme: Open them, Shut them

Book: Bright Beetle by Rick Chrustowski
I like to include nonfiction titles wherever appropriate. The kids at storytime enjoyed comparing the life cycle of a ladybug to that of a caterpillar, which they were already very, very familiar with.

Rhyme: Roly-poly Caterpillar
Roly-poly caterpillar (wiggle right pointer finger)
Into a corner crept (place right pointer finger in left cupped hand)
Spun around himself a blanket (spin around)
Then for a long time slept (head on folded hands)
Roly-poly caterpillar (wiggle right pointer finger)
Wakening by and by (stretch)
Found himself with beautiful wings (spread out arms)
Changed to a butterfly (flutter arms like wings)

Book: Inch and Roly Make a Wish by Melissa Wiley

Song: "If You’re Happy and You Know It"

Book: Fly by Karl Newsom Edwards

Rhyme: Freddy Flea
On my toe is Freddy Flea.
Now he’s climbing up on me.
Past my tummy, past my nose
On my head where my hair grows.

On my head is Freddy Flea
Now he’s climbing down on me.
Past my tummy, past my knee,
On the floor. Goodbye, flea!

Book: The Ant and the Grasshopper by Rebecca Emberley

Song: "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes"

Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Goodbye Rhyme

Craft: Spoon Bugs! Plastic spoons, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, and glue or glue dots, all of which probably already exist in your library at this moment. I love that there is lots of room for variety in this craft. I saw spoon ants, spoon spiders, spoon caterpillars, and even a spoon butterfly!


No comments: