"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

25 September 2015

Storytime: Cats


Open them, Shut them
Open them, shut them; open them, shut them
Give a little clap, clap, clap!
Open them, shut them; open them, shut them
Lay them in your lap, lap lap.
Creep them, crawl them; creep them, crawl them
Right up to your chin, chin, chin!
Open wide your little mouth
But do not let them in, in, in!

Book: A Castle Full of Cats by Ruth Sanderson

Mrs. Tabby Cat
Here is Mrs. Tabby Cat (one thumb)
And her little kittens (4 fingers)
Curled up on their little bed, (Fold fingers and thumb together)
Snuggled with some mittens.
They were startled by a squeak (Other thumb wiggles)
Their heads popped up to see. (Hand comes partly open)
Kittens, I think I see a mouse.
Now just follow me (hushed voice).
Creeping, creeping, creeping on,
Silently they stole. (Fingers undulating toward mouse.)
Just before the cats got there,
The mouse popped in his hole. (Hide thumb in fist.)

Book: How to Catch a Mouse by Philippa Leathers

If You’re Happy and You Know It

3 Kittens who Lost their Mittens
(I used a big book for this, but you could easily do a video or a flannel story)
The three little kittens, they lost their mittens,
And they began to cry,
"Oh, mother dear, we sadly fear,
Our mittens we have lost."
"What! Lost your mittens, you naughty kittens!
Then you shall have no pie."

The three little kittens, they found their mittens,
And they began to cry,
"Oh, mother dear, see here, see here,
Our mittens we have found."
"Put on your mittens, you silly kittens,
And you shall have some pie."

The three little kittens put on their mittens,
And soon ate up the pie,
"Oh, mother dear, we greatly fear,
Our mittens we have soiled."
"What, soiled your mittens, you naughty kittens!"
Then they began to sigh,

The three little kittens, they washed their mittens,
And hung them out to dry,
"Oh, mother dear, see here, see here,
Our mittens we have washed"
"What, washed your mittens, then you're good kittens,
But I smell a rat close by."

Book: Miss Hazeltine’s Home for Shy and Fearful Cats by Alicia Potter

Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes

Book: Kitten’s First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes

Goodbye Rhyme
On my face I have a nose,
And way down here I have ten toes.
I have two eyes that I can blink,
I have a head to help me think.
I have a chin, and very near,
I have two ears so I can hear.
Here are my arms to hold up high,
And here is my hand to wave good-bye.

Then it was time for our craft.  I found a cat mask online and printed it on cardstock for the kids to color and cut out. I made sure to mention that they could color it however they wanted, and as a result we had lots of rainbow-colored cats. 


No comments: