"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

10 July 2015

Book Munchers Book Club: Tacky in Trouble


I love Tacky the Penguin. He's probably my favorite character in children's books, to be honest. He's silly and creative and brave and he always saves the day, even if it is in an unconventional way. That being said, it was easy to choose Tacky in Trouble as a book for my 5-8 year old book club.  We discussed the book, and then we did these activities:


1. Rock-Hopping: Tacky loves rock hopping, so I made a hopscotch board on the floor using painters' tape.  This was a very popular activity.

Do you see the gravity-defying level? I had to take a picture of this tower.

2. Ice-block Building: Jenga was the closest I could come to building with ice blocks.


3. Napkin Folding: Origami, complete with instruction books from our library's collection.


4. Tablecloth Decorating: We had some old white handkerchiefs in our craft closet, so I brought those out along with fabric markers, and Voila! instant project. It was neat to see how excited the parents were about this particular activity.


I considered making a tacky photo booth with Hawaiian shirts and various props, but the four activities above were very simple and didn't cost anything, since we already had all of the supplies at the library.

No comments: