"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

23 March 2011

The Portable Louisa May Alcott


Keyser, Elizabeth Lennox.  The Portable Louisa May Alcott. New York: Penguin Books, 2000.

Recently I was able to visit Louisa May Alcott's home in Concord, MA. I really enjoyed touring her house and learning more about her life and the parallels between her story Little Women and her life story.  While I was there, I couldn't resist purchasing one of her books, and I was happy to discover this anthology of her works. 

This book contains letters, essays, short stories, and snippets from Alcott's novels.  I am quite used to knowing of Alcott as the author of Little Women; I did not know, though, that she also wrote short stories.  I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring this other side of Alcott, and I highly recommend that you stop by your library for some exploring, too.

No comments: