"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

15 November 2010

LEGO: A Love Story

Bender, Jonathan. LEGO: A Love Story. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2010.

If you are prone to obsessing over LEGO toys, do not read this book.  If you struggle with the temptation to purchase more LEGO sets than any adult probably needs, do not read this book.  I guarantee that reading this book will put shopping thoughts in your head, will lead you to the nearest LEGO store or website, and will result in LEGO sets piling up in your room.

Fortunately for me, when I started reading this book I had just discovered some of the LEGO sets I had packed when I moved, and those sets satiated my craving to build, at least for a while. I'm not sure that I'm completely cured, though.  LEGO is addicting.

This book chronicles the journey of one man as he becomes an AFOL (adult fan of LEGO). He explores the history of LEGO and the world of AFOLs while he begins to build his LEGO creations.  If you or someone you know is interested in LEGO bricks, this is a great book to read.  It is interesting, it contains little-known facts about LEGO bricks, and it reignites the building addiction in those of us who played with LEGO as a child. 

A fun read and a true story, this book is worth your time.  But you might want to grab a bag of LEGO bricks to tide you over as you read.

No comments: