"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

25 August 2010

Vanishing Acts


Picoult, Jodi. Vanishing Acts. New York: Washington Square Press, 2005.


What would you do if you came home one day to find that your father had been arrested for kidnapping you twenty-eight years ago, and your mother, far from dead as you had been told, is alive and waiting to meet you? Delia Hopkins works with the police on search-and-rescue missions, but now she has to do some rescuing of her own, and she has to decide whom to trust and what to believe after so many years of lies.


I enjoyed the plot twists in this story, and Picoult's habit of telling a story from several points of view was not nearly as disorienting as it was when I read My Sister's Keeper. The subplots and layers of information enticed me to keep reading, and I found myself done with this book far sooner than I had expected. This book would be an excellent beach read or rainy day read.

No comments: