"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

19 July 2010

Weekend Reads


I read four books this weekend, and none of them stood out to me, so rather than dedicating an entire post to each, I will give you my thoughts, however brief, here:

1. Caveney, Philip. Sebastian Darke: Prince of Explorers. New York: Random House, 2009.

This book is an adventure-type store for teens. It is, apparently, the third book in the series, and it was fairly entertaining and harmless, although I didn't enjoy it that much.


2. Sturtevant, Katherine. The Brothers Story. New York: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2010.

This historical fiction novel follows a boy who travels to London during the Great Frost of 1683. In the style of Judy Blume, this is truly a coming-of-age story, and I don't think it has merit. The historical information is interesting enough, but there are other, better sources of that same information. Don't bother.


3. Le Guin, Ursula. Voices. New York: Harcourt, 2006.

This is the second book in a trilogy. It was fairly interesting, for a fantasy novel, but the ending was rather slow.


4. Bass, Jefferson. The Bone Thief. New York: Harper Collins, 2010.

This fifth fiction work about the body farm was interesting, but only because I had read the previous four books. The main character spends more time in this book working undercover for the FBI than he does discovering causes of death using forensic science. I was not that thrilled, and I chose to skim the last two chapters. Sigh.


I do have a few more books in my stack from the library. Hopefully those books will produce better results than these did. I do love having a library nearby, though. Even a disappointing stack is okay, because it gives me an excuse to return to the library for a different stack.

No comments: