"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

22 May 2015

Book Club: Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy


This month my Page Turners book club (9-12 year olds) read Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy, which is the first book in a seven-book fantasy series.  The story follows five dragonets (baby dragons, to the unenlightened) who are part of a prophecy that is supposed to end the war between different dragon factions. Most of my book club kids loved this book, and many of them said it was their favorite of the books we have read so far this year.

After a brief discussion (I found my questions here), we started in on our activities:


1.  Dragon corner bookmark.  Corner bookmarks are relatively simple to make, and I like that they can be personalized to match the topic at hand.  In this case, I set out a sample, a couple of templates, and a stack of craft supplies.  The kids didn't need much more in the way of direction.

2.  Seven Dragons Game. I always like to incorporate card games or board games, because most of my young patrons don't have enough opportunity to play these with anyone else.  There happens to be a dragon card game that has a regular version and a simplified version. I wrote up the simplified version directions on a paper and set those out with just the necessary cards instead of the entire deck.


3.  Jointed Dragon.  This was way more popular than I thought it would be. I found a paper dragon online that can be colored, cut out, and attached with paper fasteners so that the various joints actually move.  The kids loved this activity, even though it took most of their time just to cut the dragon out.

Although this month's activities were not as, ahem, explosive as those we did last month, we still had a great time and the patrons (and I) are looking forward to next month.

No comments: