"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

15 July 2011

What Every Body is Saying



Navarro, Joe. What Every Body Is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People. New York: Harper Collins, 2008.

I have always been fascinated by the psychologists and other professionals featured on crime shows, especially those who can observe an interview and tell if a person is lying or nervous or overconfident, etc. It turns out that there are cues that you can learn so that you, too, can tell when a person is uncomfortable with a particular topic or answer. And it turns out that many of these cues are really beyond our control, so you won't be able to fight against it, either, at least not easily. Although I have made a concerted effort to keep my thumbs out of my pockets while at work this week. :)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I'd like to read this, too. I enjoyed the show Lie to Me and wish it didn't go off the air, because I also liked analyzing the facial expressions of the characters. :-)