"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

15 June 2011

The Fortune Cookie Chronicles


Lee, Jennifer. The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food. New York: Twelve, 2008.

I was leaving the library with my typical armful of books when the cover of this book caught my attention.  It is a difficult thing to balance a stack of ten or so books while trying to read the back of yet another book, but then I knew this one had to be added to my stack.  Lee stumbled upon the world of Chinese food when she was following the story of a rash of Powerball winners, all of whom one the same contest with the same numbers that they found ... in fortune cookies.  This led Lee to wonder about the origin of the fortune cookie and the strange phenomenon that is American Chinese food.  This book chronicles her journey and her discoveries.

I found this book to be fascinating.  It is not my typical genre of literature, but it was filled with very interesting information and made for a great lunch break read this past week at work.  Definitely check this one out if you get a chance.

No comments: