"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

07 June 2011

Cryer's Cross


McMann, Lisa. Cryer's Cross. New York: Simon Pulse, 2011.

Kendall lives in a very, very small town.  Her entire high school fits in one classroom.  Kendall has been thriving in this small community in spite of her OCD, which she has learned to manage as long as her routine isn't interrupted.  Then one of her sophomore classmates disappears.  Then a fellow senior disappears.  Kendall, who notices everything, sees a new piece of graffiti etched into a desk in the senior section of her classroom.  The new graffiti looks like it's been there forever, and it says, "Please save me."  Will Kendall be able to piece together the mystery and save everyone before it's too late?

This was a mildly interesting story with a fairly predictable plot.  I was more intrigued by Kendall's struggles with OCD than I was the actual plot.  At just over 200 pages, though, it's a quick read.  I don't know that I can agree with the reviewer who called this book "eerie, gripping, addictive," but it was interesting.  Cryer's Cross won't be in my top ten list for this year, but it was worth carrying home in my backpack.

No comments: