"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

13 December 2010

Understanding Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism


Marsden, George.  Understanding Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1991.

This book was recommended to me, and I was shocked to discover that it was available at my public library.  I have been very interested in studying the roots of Fundamentalism and the split between Fundamentalists and Evangelicals. 

This book reads much like a history textbook.  The information is fairly interesting, although I will have to admit that I began skimming about halfway through the book.  I wished there had been more details about Fundamentalism specifically; I was hoping for more information about the movement in the last 100 years.

Having spent twelve years in the Fundamentalist world, specifically in the realm of education, I was already familiar with most of the information in this book, so it did not hold my interest as long as it might have otherwise.  I'm sure it would be a great resource or starting point for a person who is unfamiliar with Fundamentalism, but a person who spent any amount of time with history textbooks from Christian schools need not bother.

No comments: