"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

26 July 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: The Books Made Me Do It


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by the Broke and the Bookish.

In no particular order, here are ten things that books have made me want to do or learn about after reading:

  1. Plant a Garden. After reading The Martian, I really wanted to grow potatoes. On Mars. My compromise is that we have a tomato plant and a pepper plant and sometimes I grow potatoes in my cupboard by forgetting they're there. I'm sure Mark Watney would be proud.
  2. Buy School Supplies. After reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I really wanted to visit Diagon Alley. Yes, of course, a Hogwarts visit would be amazing, but I already have a school supply-buying problem, so magical school supplies are that much more enticing.
  3. Fold Papers. The Strange Case of Origami Yoda made me want to try out my origami skills once again. I was quickly reminded, however, that those skills are mostly in my imagination.
  4. Build a Bot. I would love to build a working robot like the kids did in Ungifted. I've built two so far that were for work, but none that I was able to design and tinker and ultimately destroy in epic battle.
  5. Make a Mess. What the Dinosaurs Did Last Night is a great story of some dinosaurs that make big messes. I love the idea of posing dinosaurs and photographing them, and I was able to do just that last Dinovember!
  6. Shelve Books. Book Scavenger made me want to hide books around the city of San Francisco. Once again, I was actually able to do that - I hid copies of Book Scavenger in places mentioned in the book itself!
  7. Bake a Cake. Anytime I've read any of the Redwall series, I am overwhelmed by the inevitable feast scenes. They make me want to eat all. the. things.
  8. Go Back in the Closet. Seriously, who hasn't wanted to find a magical land a la Narnia in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe?
  9. Fly to the Moon. After reading Binky the Space Cat, I wanted to build my own cardboard rocket ship. Again, I got to do this one as part of my job. My book club kids read that book, so I made cardboard rocket ships for them to decorate.
  10. Buy Another Book. Donnalyn Miller's Book Whisperer made me want to buy truckloads of books (with my truckloads of librarian salary) and give them to kids and teachers alike so we can destroy the Accelerated Reader program forever. Okay, so maybe we got a bit off-track on that one, but I still do want kids to be surrounded by books, hoards of books, all the time on the chance that they'll find something they like to read.
Has reading a book ever made you want to do something or learn something? 

2 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Who wouldn't want to visit Diagon Alley!

Check out my TTT.

proseandkahn said...

Wow, I love your approach to the topic! Thanks for visiting my TTT.

brenda