"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

08 April 2016

Book Club: Mission Mars and Titanic


Once again my younger book club (5-8 year olds) had two book options: my 4:00 group read a book about the Titanic, and my 6:00 group read Mission: Mars. The sneaky secret here is that these were leftover summer reading prize books, so this program didn't cost the library anything other than my time, and that's also why each group had a different book. I only had ten of each book, and I wanted both groups to read something nonfiction, so we went with both options.

These books were similar in that they are both nonfiction, but the activities for them were fairly different. For each book I had a coloring activity and a science activity.


Titanic: I found coloring pages of the sinking Titanic but decided those were too creepy. Instead, I gave the kids a page with an open suitcase on it and they could add what they would have packed for an ocean voyage.


For our science activity, I reprised my Titanic science club project from the summer: using the materials provided, make a boat that will float in the water and can hold as many rubber rats as possible. Since I already had the buckets and rats, I only needed to set out paper, tape, aluminum foil, and other craft supplies for kids to make their boats.


Mars: For the Mars book, I found a coloring page of the Curiosity, so that was our coloring option. I also set out a large leftover box and allowed kids to decorate that as their rocket to Mars. Kids love playing with cardboard boxes, and I was fortunate to find a leftover box already at work so I didn't have to go searching for one.


Our science project for the Mars book involved creating a small paper rocket that can be launched using a standard straw. I printed the rocket directions on several varieties of colored paper and set that out along with pencils, scissors, tape, and straws.

Neither book required any outside materials beyond what we already keep at the library, and the parents were grateful that I used a nonfiction book since the focus in school is on students understanding nonfiction texts.

No comments: