"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

09 December 2015

Storytime: The Three Little Pigs


Some months I have five storytimes to do, and during those months I use the fifth week as a week for fairy tales or folk tales. I try to find stories that have multiple versions so the kids can experience the wide variety that exists within folklore. This week we read The Three Little Pigs, and I did a variety of Three Little Pigs stories:

Opening Rhyme: Open Them, Shut Them

Book: Ziggy Piggy and the Three Little Pigs by Frank Asch

Rhyme: Five Little Pigs
Five little pigs rolled in the mud
Squishy, squashy, felt so good.
The farmer took one piggy out.
"Oink, oink, oink," the pig did shout!

Four little pigs ...

No little pigs rolled in the mud.
They all looked so clean and good.
The farmer turned his back and then,
Those pigs rolled in the mud again!

Book: The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka

Song: "If You're Happy and You Know It"

Book: The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf by Mark Teague

Rhyme: This Little Piggy (went to market ...)

Song: "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes"

Book: The Three Ninja Pigs by Corey Schwartz

Goodbye Rhyme

I also considered, but did not use, The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig, Eco-Wolf and the Three Pigs, The Three Little Pigs: An Architectural Tale, Wait! No Paint!, Three Little Cajun Pigs, and a score of other books which I put on display for patrons to check out after storytime.


After storytime, it was time for our craft. I borrowed the three pigs and wolf puppets from this site, and then I made my own version of the three houses. My houses are a fold and tape or fold and glue craft, but this allows for more free play than just doing a puppet show. The best part is that the houses can be used for other crafts or play as well.


No comments: