"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

02 May 2014

Escape to Gold Mountain


Wong, David H.T. Escape to Gold Mountain: A Graphic History of the Chinese in North America. Arsenal Pulp Press, 2012. 

This book details the experience of Chinese-Americans who emigrated and then worked to build the railroads both in the United States and in Canada. The historical events surrounding this time period - including the 1906 San Francisco earthquake - are included. The artwork is well done and appropriate to telling the story. I do not have a copy of this book in my library, but I wish I did. My students would enjoy the graphic format, and the book would inform them about a time period that is often glossed over in American history textbooks.

Recommended for: tweens, teens
Red Flags: violence, racial slurs
Overall Rating: 5/5 stars

No comments: