"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

03 April 2010

Science Fair



Barry, Dave and Pearson, Ridley. Science Fair. 2008.

Oh, my goodness. This book is hilarious. I read the first chapter on a Wednesday afternoon, then I re-read that same chapter out loud to a friend who had come over, then I recommended that another friend read the first chapter before we headed out on our errands.

This story has two interconnected plots. Grdankl the Strong, the leader of a country that sounds like it belongs in the former Soviet Union, is plotting to overthrow the United States. While his minions carry out his plot, Toby, an 8th grade student, is trying to win his school's science fair so he can use the prize money to pay off Darth Vader and the Wookiee, two men who are stalking Toby in pursuit of his father's prized Star Wars collectibles. These two plots, surprisingly enough, do tie together by the end of the book.

As I said before, this book is hilarious. As a teacher, I appreciated the school humor. As a Star Wars fan, I appreciated the references to the movies. As a reasonably intelligent adult, I loved the plotting of Grdankl the Strong and his four vice presidents, especially once I discovered the reason for their desire to overthrow the United States.

This book is definitely worth checking out of your local library. On your way back home, grab a package of Mentos and a Coke as well. You'll thank me later.

No comments: