"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

22 December 2016

It's the End of the Year as We Know It


My teens all insisted that we needed to have an end-of-the-year party in December, and I didn't necessarily disagree, although I didn't particularly want to go to the trouble of planning yet another special event. I could let the teens plan the event, but while they are great at coming up with ideas, their follow-through still needs some work.

What I did instead was allow them to make suggestions of things they would like at a party. This is the list I got from them:
pizza
hot chocolate
candy canes that are not peppermint flavored
chicken fighting
a bonfire
poker
white elephant gifts
games
crafts

Many of these were reasonable things that I could accommodate in a library-sponsored event. Obviously a few of them had to be left off the final list. [Chicken fighting? Really?]

This is what we ended up with: I ordered pizza from a local restaurant and brought in hot chocolate, candy canes, and board games. We ate the pizza first, then did the "bobbing for candy canes" game that can be found on YouTube and is hilarious to watch. The scores from that game helped me pick the order for the white elephant gifts. After that we had plenty of time for more eating, playing board games, etc. It turned out most of the teens were perfectly happy chatting with each other and watching Epic Rap Battle videos on their phones. Some of them played Munchkin with me. Everyone had a good time, the food was all eaten, and no chickens were harmed. I call this a successful program.


No comments: