"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

28 March 2011

Mosaic


Grant, Amy. Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far. New York: Doubleday, 2007.

I used to listen to Amy Grant's music when I was in junior high and high school.  I remember when she came out with her first pop album and many people chose not to listen to her music any more because she had crossed over into the world of secular music.  Soon after I began attending a university where her music was not acceptable, so I left my Amy Grant tapes (yes, cassette tapes - remember those?) behind with many others.

I picked up her music again when I heard about her latest album, Somewhere Down the Road.  The songs in this album were of great comfort and encouragement to me when I really needed it.  I was intrigued, then, to discover that Amy Grant had written an autobiography of sorts. 

Mosaic is an apt title for this book.  This is not Grant's life story in any particular order.  She speaks of various memories and ties each of the memories or stories to a song lyric.  By reading the entire book, one can get a partial picture of Amy Grant's life, but not the whole picture.  Still, it was interesting, and it was a quick and easy read.  Definitely worth adding to my stack at the library.

No comments: