"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein

06 November 2010

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place


Wood, Maryrose. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling. New York: Harper Collins, 2010.

Miss Penelope Lumley is sent from her school to the home of three children who desperately need a governess.  When she arrives, she discovers that the three children are the very definition of wild: they have been raised by wolves.  Now she has to attempt to civilize and educate them, and to do so before the Christmas party, which is rapidly approaching.  But how can she attempt to teach table manners to children who can't sit still if they can see a squirrel out the window?

I really enjoyed this story.  The narrator's side comments are hilarious, the many "wise sayings" repeated by Penelope, and the antics of the children were entertaining and kept me turning pages long after I should have stopped reading to do something else.  My only complaint is that I don't have the next book, so I cannot finish the adventures of these incorrigible children.  If I still had a classroom, this book would definitely be on my shelf, and might be one that I would read aloud to my class.

No comments: